Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bumpy boy

Jacob always has some red bumps on him. They aren't simple baby zits because he's too old to have lots of those, they last too long to be those, and are too scabby to be those.

Two months ago he got four mosquito bites. At least I'm 99% sure they were moquito bites because I saw some mosquitos right where we had been. Well, they got to be horrible looking!
Here's a picture of two of the mosquito bites a few days after he got them. They improved over time and are all but gone now, but it's been 2 months and there is still a remnant. I think that's an extreme reaction to a mosquito bite.

Anyway, this morning after he woke up he had an ugly-looking blister on his foot! Later in the day it popped. Any idea what in the world is going on? Here's a picture of his foot today, after the blister popped:
I am treating it with Bactroban (prescription-strength antibiotic ointment) to prevent infection since it's such an open sore, and I'm sure it will be okay, but the cause is what is mysterious to me. He had chicken pox in June and they were big and weird-looking as well, although sparse, and they healed up like normal chicken pox. Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone has had experience with something like this.

Update: Oct. 27: He was diagnosed with MRSA, a strong bacteria.

2 comments:

Alison B said...

it could be Molluscum. They are a type of wart. well, in the wart family, and they are highly contagious. if that is what it is, you should see your doctor. I know what a pain it is, but then you'll know and you can stop worrying. If it is molluscum, let me know..i have some home remedies. good luck and go to the doctor!!

Jill said...

For everyone's information, it turns out it is MRSA, a strong bacteria, that has just been on his skin since he had a MRSA-infected diaper rash when he was 2 mos old. The doctor gave us instructions for decolonizing the MRSA. This explains why his mosquito bites looked os bad; they got infected with MRSA because he had it on his skin.